Thursday, March 7, 2013

The start of something new!

I'm at that unfortunate age now where if you're not in a team or sporting commitment already, your pretty much screwed. I did plenty of different things when I was younger but by the time I started high school I did nothing. Nada. No extra curricular activities whatsoever, apart from the odd bike ride or tennis match and fairly often dog walking. I was a pretty awkward, shy person at that time, and no longer had the confidence to try something new, due to the fact I was shy, not overly talented anymore and had a headteacher who really seemed to dislike me towards the end of primary school and forever put me down and made me think I was truly crap at any sport under the sun.

This has bothered me for three years now. Whenever we have to do things in school where we have to write about what we do outside of school, I feel truly lost. Playing musical instruments is my only 'hobby' (I really do hate that word!) and isn't exactly the most energetic thing out there. I know I'm not the only one, but it makes me feel very lazy that I don't do any sport outside of school!

After watching the programme 'splash' on itv a few weeks ago (google it if you don't live in the UK) I have been inspired. Diving looks so fun! I watched as the celebrities were transformed in only a few weeks of training, and was amazed during the finals when they were all doing complex dive after only about 8 weeks of training! I just thought it looked so fun, and looked like something I would really enjoy!

So I took it upon myself, and emailed my local diving centre! They've just emailed me back telling me about a new teen course which has spaces!

Now, I know its going to be a challenge. Its going to take lots of patience, perseverance and effort. Not to mention masses of self confidence- not only the actual diving aspect but standing by the edge of a pool in nothing but a swimming costume? That only happens when I'm on holiday, where there is only a slim chance of seeing someone I know other than my family!

But I'm so excited! Something that I can finally do outside of school, and hopefully achieve at it! I hope I will learn some new skills, make some new friends and have lots of fun!

Thanks for reading! Maybe I've inspired you to pick up the phone and call your local sports centre and see whats on! I know it's very hard to do, but believe it or not there are other people in your position! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment